Re: [Harp-L] Minor Kill - Minor Kill challenge

Pierre wrote:

> Richard said:
>
> "Minor Kill" was recorded with a stock Lee Oskar Natural Minor in C
> (meaning that the key is C minor in second position).
>
> Something seems wrong in the above sentence, did Richard mean to say a Lee
> Oskar Natural Minor in F?

Lee Oskar Natural Minors are keyed according to SECOND position, not
first position (as is the case with standard-tuned harps).  So this is
in fact a Natural Minor in C (though if it were a standard tuning, it
would be an F harp).

> While I'm there? could this be played on a stock Richter harp (without
> overblows) if we sacrifice the chords?

Probably, but since the chords are a big part of what makes the piece
work, I dunno why you'd dump them.  Actually, I have played around with
this piece on a standard-tuned harp, and it sounds pretty good -- just
not quite as good as it sounds on a Natural Minor, at least to my ears.
Try it and see what you think.

> BTW, this is a cool tune - why not have a challenge for the less than pro
> harpers, Richard might be able to donate the backing track. Richard would
> have to agree though, I'm not sure he wants us screwing around with his
> tune.
>
> Any takers?

Thanks for this comment, which is very flattering and much appreciated.
But it takes a lot of time and effort to create my pieces, and they're
ultimately intended for sale or licensing.  So I must decline this
offer.  I will continue to release pieces to members of this list for
their personal (non-commercial) listening pleasure -- feel free to jam
along.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com