[Harp-L] re: Elizabeth: Tongue Blocking...

Anytime I see something regarding technique on tongue blocking I read it over and over. Then practice it over and over. Then keep getting frustrated over and over.

It isn't so much the splits, etc., that were described to Elizabeth that give me problems, it's using TB to get single notes. As some of you may have seen me post in the past, my tongue gets sucked against the face of the harp and either I am unable to draw air in or choke, or both. It hardly makes any sound except for my guttural gagging, etc.

I misinterpreted the Portnoy cd's to think the tip of the tongue is used. Apparently, this isn't quite right. At least from what i've read since. I know it hasn't worked for me.

The Norton Buffalo video primarily uses the "u-block" for single notes and tb for octaves, etc.

The David Barrett technique video uses the top-front surface (I think that's what I see), but in trying that it doesn't work for me either. By not working, I mean not only doesn't it work now, but I don't see how practice will make it any easier. I just don't see how it will work for me.

Most sources just have drawings with the holes blocked out and the hole to be played open. Fine. They simply say to stick your tongue in (or over) the holes you don't want and draw (or blow)the hole(s) you want. Vague is a nice word to describe that. Nice work if you can get it right off the bat.

Sorry if I sound sarcastic. Just completely frustrated.

By the way, thanks for all your Suzuki comments.

Sincerely,

Bry Thomas (Indiana)