[Harp-L] Sonny Terry (was Dave Fertig response to EGS1217/What else do you do?- New here)

Firstly, thanks, Dave for the kind words -- much appreciated. :)

As to Sonny: I wouldn't go out on a limb and state that he *never* in his entire life used any sort of tongue block. Although I cannot think of any recorded examples off hand, I'll be the first to admit that I haven't heard 100% of *everything* ever recorded by Sonny (although I bet I've heard -- and listened very closely to -- 90+% of it.) <g>

Did you see him at the Golden Bear? We probably had neighboring tables.

But I can state that he did not use TB to achieve single notes, and I can't recall any examples of him using TB for splits or octaves. If there are any recorded examples of such that I have missed, I'd welcome any info from anyone on the L.

Having said that, I must admit that in my own book on ST's style, *I* threw in a few TB octave splits, even though ST didn't use them. Call it literary license if you will? <g>

You're correct that Butterfield was a puckerer, as is Levy. Both Sonny Boys and both Walter's were TB-ers. Many folks (including myself) use both embouchures, depending on the situation. And then there are those (like Norton Buffalo) who use neither of these embouchures, but prefer to U-block. <shrug>

Bottom line?

You state it more eloquently than I: "What is necessary, for blues harp anyway, is soul. And at least one good ear, I suppose."

Couldn't have said it better, my friend.

cheers,
Tom

Well, if Butterfield didn't tongue-block, it certainly ain't necessary, nor is overblowing, nor is vindication. Nor is playing different positions, or chromatic, or . . . . What is necessary, for blues harp anyway, is soul. And at least one good ear, I suppose.

As for Sonny Terry:  Tom Ball is absolutely one of my favorite players, and
he's also a scholar on the subject,  so I would not second guess him on
anything harpmonica-related, however I will note when I saw Sonny Terry
play live (loong ago at Hermosa Beach), I could have sworn I saw him
throwin' a few octaves and chords, a la tongue-blocking, altho he didn't do
much o dat stuff, I thought he did do some.   And Froggy says Sonny did it,
too, so I am at a loss, perhaps Sonny did it just a little bit?  Maybe
not.   But Sonny's chief thing for me was his beautiful sound-wave shaping
with his hand, acute mic control and his amazing rhythmic work involving
his voice and breathe.   Sonny Terry is royalty, I treasure his work.

Anyway, I still say the late William Clark was a monster blocker.    Also,
Dennis Gruenling, wisely recommended by Froggy, is indeed an amazing player
too!

So pucker on, or tongue block, or do 5th position overblows with oddly
tuned semi-valved 12-hole whatsisdealiebobs, whatever, just blow with soul!

-Dave