[Harp-L] champ vs champ

I got a chance to play a custom built amp last night, based on the late 50s
tweed champ circuit with a 10 inch speaker and the standard 12AX7 preamp tube.
Then I played an actual tweed champ with the 6SJ7 octal preamp tube and the six
inch speaker. Big difference in sound. Helped me understand just what an amp
does to color the sound.

The speaker and the microphone both act as an EQ. A six inch speaker and a Shure
Bullet mic really cut a lot of frequency out of the harp. The tubes
adds a nice compression to the sound, and the distortion adds some nice even
order harmonics to fatten the sound.The different tube circuits make a big
difference on the feel of the compression and the sound of the distortion. The
speaker size seems to change the distortion as well.

There's something magic about finding the right amp. With the tweed Champ, all I
have to do is turn it on, keep the volume around 4, and everything is EQ'd and
compressed exactly right with just the right amount of distortion.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm