[Harp-L] Re: Sonny Terry

Hi Gary,

Nice to hear from you and glad that all is well!

You are truly a lucky man to have worked so closely with Son for all those years -- I'm envious. The only words he ever said to me were, "This whiskey tastes like sh*t!" one night when I poured him a shot of (an admittedly lousy) bourbon at the Ash Grove. <g>

Thanks for reconfirming his non-use of TB per se, and for also pointing out once again his exceptional talent and showmanship... the man was an American treasure, and there's a reason he's the only harpist (or at least the only one I can think of?) ever to have been immortalized on a US Postage Stamp.

Best of luck to you and don't be such a stranger to the list? Your input is always valued,

TB

Hi Tom and the rest, I usually stay out of this, but I am still alive and
lived two years and played 6 harp duets with Sonny Terry every night in the late 70's, even at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach. While he incorporated one
dominant note when playing two notes instead of a single note, in his later
years when I was with him he did not teach me any TB, however in his very early recordings, like with Blind Boy Fuller, there are some phrasings where he was chording, but not tongue blocking per say. Nicholas, just because the man is not alive doesn't mean you pass him over like he never existed. He left an indelible mark and created history, and to play his music correctly is one of the most challenging styles ever, Tom will attest to that. I saw a 65 year old man with terrible arthritis come alive every night and take an audience in his hands no matter how bad he felt. When it was showtime, he lit up. Nicholas, I believe you know my friend Guy in Belgium, good luck over there. Sonny took me under his wing when I was 21 years old, and was the greatest person in my life, he did everything he said he would do job wise, teaching wise, he was just a great man. Ornery as hell, but you try living blind and being black in the 30's on up.