RE: [Harp-L] re: Elizabeth: Tongue Blocking...

Anytime I see something regarding technique on tongue blocking I read it
over and over.  Then practice it over and over.  Then keep getting
frustrated over and over....

     I played for many years puckering and started TBing at a class given by
Joe Filisko. His point was, there is some great harp techniques from the
early days, 20's & 30's, that the next generation used in the, 40's & 50's.
If you listen you will here "Lost John" and other TBing chugging or vamping
sounds played by the greats. I can now do a lot of these effects and use
them effortlessly. I'm now trying to get that Phil Wiggins sound, who plays
out of the box Marine bands.
      The reason for me saying all this is I sound so much better now and my
breathing is so improved from practicing train's and Lost John's that in all
the past years that I have played I have developed way past my previous
ability. Everything I played before I can play better now. I don't just TB,
I use them both.
     I believe that to advance you should, must, try various new things and
learn them and make them yours. Tom Ball is an outstanding player who
incorporates many effects in his playing. Nothing works the first time and
the How To's are examples, you must find your own way there to produce that
sound. Keep the harp in your mouth blow baby blow.

Timm From the Rapids