To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Minor Kill

"jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" wrote:
"Nice job Richard [on Minor Kill].  What kind of harp did you use?"

"Minor Kill" was recorded with a stock Lee Oskar Natural Minor in C
(meaning that the key is C minor in second position).  The piece is
played in 2nd position. I played through a Labtec AM-22 mic (which costs
$8 new) into a Crate VC-508 amp, and recorded the amp from about a foot
away with an Audio Technica AT-4050 CM5 large-diaphragm condensor mic,
into a Roland MMP-2 preamp, into the computer soundcard.  The original
recorded sound was a little colorless to my ears, but it came alive
totally when I applied a doubler preset from a free reverb plugin called
"Ambience".

The piece is a good example of one of the things that non-standard
tunings are good for.  "Minor Kill" is a minor-key blues, meaning every
chord in the piece is minor.  With the Natural Minor tuning, I can play
octaves on the basic triad tones for every chord, with added 7ths and
9ths on the tonic (C minor) chord.  In other words, I can make a lot of
big sounds and textures on every chord, and you can hear all those
sounds on this piece.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com