[Harp-L] Microphones (& maybe an amp)?

I've played harp for a long time but it has been only recently that I have
found an avocation performing. So I've been experimenting with microphones
and amps. I have a Madcat that I run through a Fender Pro Jr (with swapped
out tubes and a Jensen speaker) but I really don't use it because of it's
inability to reproduce the hand dynamics.

I've come to realize I don't need, or want, a big amp and a "Green Bullet".
I don't like that overdriven sound. Don't get me wrong I can listen to it
and enjoy it but I really like the natural sound of the harmonica. Using a
mic close up to the harmonica really destroys the sound I'm after. And
though gadgets like the Digitech seem tempting I really would like to be
able to stand a foot away from the mic and return to a simpler sound.

So I'm in search of a good acoustic setup. I think the key is the
microphone.

I've been sitting in with friends. On one occasion I used a PA with a SM58.
It was OK but I had to get on top of it to get any decent bass response
which crowds my style. Recently I sat in with a well-known regional
bluegrass band that used a single Neumann mic on stage. It was a lot of fun
and the mic was incredible but the cost is out of my budget range (maybe
when I get famous <g>).

Blowing into the harp and hand techniques are 90% of my sound. Putting a mic
up close just distorts the heck out of it.  I need a mic and amp setup that
can reproduce this.

I use diatonics (Marine Bands) almost exclusively. I play a lot of folk,
country blues, and bluegrass. So I do a lot of chording with the some
steppin' out front during the breaks.

So I'm wondering if their are some experienced acoustic players out there
who might offer some suggestions.

TIA
--Rich