Fwd: [Harp-L] RE: Roy Acuff's Harpmen

On his own albums (1960s?) Jimmie Riddle played both chromatic and
diatonic, often alternating back and forth several times within a
tune. He tended to play chromatic either in the home key or one
semitone up (slide in, wiggled out and back in for grace notes) and
diatonic in second position, which he played pretty well.

I'm not sure when Wheeler joined Acuff - the late '50s or
early '60s? - perhaps someone has accurate knowledge on this. Some of
the recordings from the late '60s and early '70s have various
combinations of Wheeler or Riddle, or both of them (remake of Freight
train blues with Riddle on chromatic and either Wheeler or McCoy on
diatonic), or sometimes Charlie McCoy, on harmonica. Riddle held down
the piano chair during that period with Wheeler as the main harp
player, but he still occasionally played harp.

In the '40s I believe Wheeler had not joined Acuff, still trying to
be a star in his own right on the edge between country and so-called
hillbilly boogie (which helped set the stage for rockabilly a few
years later). Riddle seems the most likely suspect for '40s era
recordings, as his later recording show he played diatonic quite well.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Henderson, Peter"
<Henderson@xxxx> wrote:
Rick,

Jimmie Riddle did indeed play the short harp - though not often and
not
as well as he played chromatic.

Trip ~ NYC