[Harp-L] Re: Gail's response to Elizabeth and Question for Panel

Regarding Elizabeth.  I sent a message to you directly.  I am  pleased to
see that there is another woman here.  Perhaps there are a  lot that I don't
know about.  I have not yet received my SPAH members  list .  Where I live,
it seems like all players are men....no offense to  any men.  I have a
husband and 2 sons who I am quite fond  of....GA

Thanks  Gail!  I sent you a personal response back last night.  If you were
at  all located close to me, which I doubt :-(    it'd be a lot  of fun to get
together with you.

I've been deluged with  mail since I signed up with an Incredimail thingie
that tends to hide a lot  of what I consider the "important" stuff, so it took
me a while to find your and  other Harp-L posters' emails.  Apologies.

 I'm so pleased too  to note the small but ever growing band of women here
(and some who've written  to me at home but don't post).  Maybe all the tech
talk intimidates them a  bit -- or could it simply be all that testosterone?
Kidding, guys!  I  kind of like it too that we're in the minority, but am
certainly relieved to  find out I'm not a minority of one.

While the technical stuff  is still sailing over my head, it's terrific to
read and file away for future  reference, and I love the feeling that I'm
sitting on the floor at the feet of  the "masters" in the field.   I still can't get
over the generosity of  those who are so far advanced taking the time to
share with obvious amateurs  like me.

In between  Holiday chores, I've  been looking at the websites   posted by
many of these amazing players and feel I've learned so much in the  past few
days.   Just last night listened to  Dennis Gruehling on  Richard Hunter's
webpage.  Thank you, Richard!   Then Fabio Testa  from Italy -- an entirely
different sound.  Steve Shaw's Traditional  Irish music  sounds closest to the
Scottish tunes I played  growing up.  My brain is reeling.  I'm like a kid in a candy
 store.

A question for the panel  at large?  I'm playing a double-sided CG Hohner
Echo Tremolo Harp - a 56/96  (24 Reed, if that's how it's described?).   The
top/bottom cover  plates (rivets came out) fell off  so I'm actually having to
hold it  together while I play.  Leaves the mouth a bit sore at times (I should
own  stock in Blistex).  Guess my question is multi-fold: 1)  CAN one
tongue-block on such an instrument?  2) Is it worth having it  re-riveted?  I bought
another smaller Echo tremolo thinking to replace it  - a 55/80 and am terribly
disappointed.  The sound just isn't close to  the older one, so I keep going
back to old faithful despite its flaws.  3)  Then my chromatic (Hohner
chromonica 10 CG)which  is probably my  favorite for the way I like to play, but
doesn't allow me to accompany  my favorite guitarist Peter White's CD's
(Confidential & Glow his 2  latest).  I know, I know -- it's not "old-style" or "pure"
jazz, but I like  many different genres and right now I love the clean sound of
his guitar and the  guest saxophonists he uses. Also am into Steve Cole's
saxophone,  Chris Botti's trumpet - you get the picture.   I'm happy to  buy
another Chromatic (have a birthday coming up shortly so get to pick a BIG  present
<VBG>), this time a 12 or better but don't know what  key/keys I need?  Even
thought of getting one of those sets of 12 in  different keys (can't remember
the name but the harmonica wasn't Hohner and  was in a black finish with an
easier dismantling system but have to find the  info again).   So will listen to
any and all advice.