Re: [Harp-L] re: interview with Kim Wilson

You could say this about acoustic guitars and in fact just about any
form of live music. When I talk about "amplified" playing, I'm not
referring to amplifying the volume of an acoustic performance so it
can be heard. I'm referring to a form of playing that relies as much
on an amplifier and microphone for its sound as on the instrument
itself. Ditto "electric" versus "acoustic" guitar; both are generally
amplified but the former is much more than just an acoustic guitar
made loud enough to hear.

Harmonicas are different in that no matter how you play, your sound is
created acoustically (as opposed to electronically, by vibrating metal
in a magnetic field, as with an electric guitar), but the difference
is the involvement of an amp/mic combination that significantly
changes the tone. Certainly the PA does change the sound of a harp to
some extent, but does not change its character the way a crystal mic
and small tube amp do.

ken

--

Ken Ficara