RE: [Harp-L] Re: Gail's response to Elizabeth and Question for Panel

A question for the panel at large? I'm playing a double-sided CG Hohner
Echo Tremolo Harp - a 56/96 (24 Reed, if that's how it's described?). The
top/bottom cover plates (rivets came out) fell off so I'm actually having to
hold it together while I play. Leaves the mouth a bit sore at times (I should
own stock in Blistex). Guess my question is multi-fold: 1) CAN one
tongue-block on such an instrument? 2) Is it worth having it re-riveted?

You really would think that, by now, Hohner would have stopped using those hateful little pins to hold bits of harps together. You just HAVE to prise off the folded-over ends of the Echo covers to do any maintenance, and they just deform and the holes in the comb-ends are now too big so the pins drop out... I don't know whether you can obtain replacement pins, but I harvested a whole batch of suitable ones from an old, busted Hohner chromatic - the ones that hold the reedplates on (another potential source of teeth-gnashing frustration for the occasional tinkerer), which I need for my Echos every now and again. Try to insert the merest splinter of wood into the holes before reassembling, which should hold the pins a bit tighter. Sheesh.

I don't tongue-block at all myself, but I don't see why it shouldn't be possible....

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm