[Harp-L] RE: Microphones (& maybe an amp)?

Sorry olde "fast-fingered-Freddy" sent that one off way too soon. Let's try
that again....

Tom Ball wrote:

> Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, it appears you're looking
> to get a nice acoustic sound via a good vocal mic and <shudder> an
> amp.
>
> Granted, the right microphone can make all the difference in the
> world, but if you're playing through an amp, it will always sound
> like, well, an amp.

I got a similar message from Richard Hunter.

> You mentioned that you tried an SM-58 through the PA but had to
> really get on top of it for bass response...  Hmmm...  Part of the
> problem could be that the PA was cheesy? (Just guessing here.)  Or
> maybe the channel you were playing through didn't have it's EQ
> optimally set for harp?  You might try rolling the bass up to maybe 2
> o'clock, the treble down to, say, 10 o'clock and adding some reverb
> (not digital delay.)
>
> Another problem could be that you mentioned you like to play from a
> foot or so away.  It's *very* difficult to get enough signal from
> that distance.  Instead I'd respectfully suggest 5-6 inches might be
> better -- more gain, less chance of feedback, still plenty of room
> for hand-effects, and less chance of the mic picking up various
> background noises (not to mention the other instruments.)

I just tried out an SM-58 in a studio as a test and you are indeed correct.
But as my tech friend pointed out in a loud situation (generally I'm not in
one) the mic will feedback. I ask him what's a "loud situation"... He
demonstrated in order for me to get a mic throw such that I can use my
hands, which is indeed more like 6-8 inches, the PA needs to be cranked up.
With him sitting at a drum kit 20 feet away and me playing he could cause
feedback. He said using the SM-58 is OK but pre-performance sound check
would be vitally important In order to eliminate feedback.

> I think you're on the right track, though, with a PA.  Any good vocal
> mic should do the trick. If you have a tightish budget your SM-58
> really should be OK, once you work out the kinks in the EQ and in the
> distance from which you play. If you want cleaner, I've had nothing
> but good luck from an AKG C 535 GB... but if you go that route,
> please be aware that your PA head will need "phantom power," and that
> this mic has no off-on switch.  Wonderful mic, though, whether used
> for vocal, harp or acoustic guitar.

I can reach a bit so I'd consider the Shure a cheap solution. I may purchase
one as a backup to my final selection.  AKG may be a bit more complexity
because of the "phantom power" issue.

> But the main consideration, IMHO, is that you'd be 100% better off
> through a PA than through any amp.  A PA doesn't have to be that
> expensive... Yamaha makes a peach of a small PA head, and decent
> speakers are made by an array of makers.  The only speakers I would
> recommend avoiding are the small Boses -- too much treble for my
> tastes.  We use JBL wedge monitors as throw speakers for small to
> medium gigs, and they work fine.

I hadn't even considered this until both you and Richard mention it (my
friend at the studio also suggested the same thing). So I'm digging out my
old Alesis to see if this might work. I'll probably take a trip out to try
out some small PAs at the local shop.

Thx
--Rich