[Harp-L] Elizabeth's questions on tremolo and chromatic

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, EGS1217@xxxx wrote:

A question for the panel  at large?  I'm playing a double-sided CG
Hohner Echo Tremolo Harp - a 56/96  (24 Reed, if that's how it's
described?).   The top/bottom cover  plates (rivets came out) fell
off  so I'm actually having to hold it  together while I play.
Leaves the mouth a bit sore at times (I should own  stock in
Blistex).  Guess my question is multi-fold:
1)  CAN one  tongue-block on such an instrument?

=======Winslow:

It was designed for tongue-blocking. Listen to some of the incredible
old-time French Canadian tremolo tongue blockers from the 1920s
and '30s on my Canadian harmonica website:

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/harmonicanuck/

Some of this may remind you of the Scottish music you grew up with -
something I play a fair bit of myself. Scottish and Irish players
both use this instrument for trad tunes.

(I think others have adequadely addressed the question about the
cover fasteners.)

======

3)  Then my chromatic (Hohner chromonica 10 CG) which  is probably
my  favorite for the way I like to play, but doesn't allow me to
accompany  my favorite guitarist Peter White's CD's (Confidential &
Glow his 2  latest).

=====Winslow:

A CG chromatic? Doesn't aound familiar. A chromatic usually plays in
one key (like C) with the button out and a semitone higher (like C#)
with the button in. Using the button to alternate between the two you
can create any scale in any key. Find out what keys Peter White's
tunes are in, then find out how to play the scales for those keys.
It's not as easy (at first) as playing diatonic, but some incredible
playing is possible with this.

If he plays a lot in keys like A, E, and D, a harmonica in that group
of keys (known as sharp keys because to create a major scale out of
the basic C scale you have to raise the pitch - sharp - some of the
notes) might be best. If he plays in flat keys (where notes of the C
scale are lowered or flattened in pitch) like F, Bb, Eb, Ab, then a
you'll probably have an easier time with an instrument in one of
those keys.

=========

I'm happy to  buy another Chromatic (have a birthday coming up
shortly so get to pick a BIG  present <VBG>), this time a 12 or
better but don't know what  key/keys I need?  Even thought of getting
one of those sets of 12 in  different keys (can't remember the name
but the harmonica wasn't Hohner and  was in a black finish with an
easier dismantling system but have to find the  info again).

=====Winslow:

A 12-hole is a good idea. Thse come in the keys of C (the highest-
pitched, like a regular C diatonic), Bb, A, G, F, E, Eb, D, and low
C. Again, any of these can play in all 12 keys but some will be more
convenient for particular keys and styles of music. There are also 14-
hole and 16-hole instruments, in C only, with extra notes on the
bottom end. If you're coming from a 10-hole, those beasts might seem
endless - the 12-hole is a nice combination of compactness and range.

The black, easy-to-dissassemble model sounds like the Hohner CX-12, a
12-hole model that is very highly regarded. It sells for between $100
and $150 depending on the source, so all 9 keys could set you back a
fair bit.

Winslow