[Harp-L] papa lightfoot

Hi-

After much digging in my horribly disorganized CD collection I found
my Papa Lightfoot collection.

It is on Official, (thanks, John) an import UK label, and has
EVERYTHING Lightfoot ever recorded except the Natchez Trace material.

Lightfoot worked out of Louisiana, and recorded for Alladin, Imperial
and other labels. This CD includes his work w/ Edgar Blanchard and the
Gondoliers, as well as the incredible Imperial sides, of which "Mean
Old Train" is indicative.

His harmonica playing is very rough tonally, but very sophisticated
musically at the same time. One of the cuts here is a cover of Little
Walter's Blue Lights, and, in fact, Papa toured the South w/ Smiley
Lewis as Little Walter, or Little Papa Walter, in an attempt to
capitolise on "Juke". (Hey, Joe- see how I cleverly got LW into
another thread?)

Also on the CD are all 4 pre- Anson Sammy Myers sides, plus two Elmore
cuts featuring Sammy on harp (he was actually Elmore's drummer at the
time) and an unreleased instrumental.

Great CD. Official 5254

Best,
Bret