[Harp-L] Advice from Harp L for the LRBC Pro AM Jam

Hi,

I have been appointed by the Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise to organize the Sail Away Pro/AM Jam on Jan. 22 @ 4:30 pm in the Crow's nest lounge. This is going to be a big venue and I am honored to help out. Little Charlie and the Nightcats will be playing simultaneously on the main pool deck. When I first heard about it I was eager and a bit nervous. It is starting to shape up. Touring pros will be mixing in with non-touring pros and amateurs at this Jam. It is taking off and the interest level is quite high. The Cruise wants to accomodate everyone with music in many areas in case one venue crowds up.

Naturally the trick is that when the big hitters come in one needs to make sure they get up quickly and there is a delicate balance that I am concerned about trying to make sure that people don't feel slighted. Basically, I think everyone will be in an open hearted spirit for the time of their lives.

As some of you know I take my responsibilites seriously and usually seek advice to make sure that I am on the right track. Any suggestions for running a mixed jam for stars thru newbies would be helpful. This is not a type of Jam where I would put the beginners up first to build their confidence. I will have to blend them in carefully. We have 2-3 songs between musician set changes as an agreed limit and people are signing up listing their level of skill and ability to lead, front or side. They are sending in their songs.

Two saving graces are my colleagues Dave Fairweather and Dave Fertig from our list will be with me on this. Thanks guys. I am going to need you to be my eyes and ears to make sure this is working out.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. I always get great support from the list and that is why I am turning to you.

Doc

--
Dennis B. Alters, MD

Diplomate, American Board of