Re: [Harp-L] RP200, 300, etc, versus Harp Commander

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Broussard,
Craig" <Craig.Broussard@xxxx> wrote:
> Can anyone give us a comparison between these
effects processors and the
> Harp Commander?

Hi Craig,

   i don't own any effects processors, but i am
looking into getting one of the "etc" (the Behringer
V-Amp) for the holidays. I am also the happy owner of
a Harp Commander.
    i think overall, comparing them is apples to
oranges. for one, all the effects processors mentioned
are digital, whereas the HC is not. the effects
processors are also intended to emulate a wide range
of... well... effects. on top of the specific amp
emulations that the V-Amp and the RP200 have, they
also have reverb, chorus, flange... that kind of
thing. some also have the capability to let you record
directly to your computer, or have MIDI, or whatnot.
the Harp Commander is intended as a simple pre-amp. it
gives you control over your bass and treble settings,
it adds compression, and it can be used to "overdrive"
your sound. the palette of sounds you get may be wider
than you would get from a single class-A amp, but it
will  be nowhere near as wide as with an effects
emulator. of course, that isn't to say the effects
processors will have as nice a tone as the HC (i'm
being subjective, i know, but i'm not alone ;). one
last thing, the HC is meant to be used with a harp. as
M.N. pointed out, it works well with bullet or lo-z
mics. the effects processors in question are generally
aimed at guitar players. they may not handle a hi-z
mic very well. myself, i plan to use both: the HC as
my main "tonal" interface (after my own body, of
course ;), and the V-Amp for effects. i might use the
amp emulators from time to time as well, if i want a
sound i can't get from the HC alone.
   if you're deciding between the two, i'd say take
measure of what you need/want first, then see which
fits the bill best. for my part, i love my HC and
wouldn't pawn it for anything ;). but i may come to
love the V-Amp too, but i figure it will be for
entirely different reasons.

   g'luck,
           --Jp