[Harp-L] Advice from Harp L for the LRBC Pro AM Jam

Dennis -

Successfully "cold" dropping amateurs in with professionals requires
a couple of things:

1) getting sufficiently acquainted with the individual amateurs - as
far as that's possible - to determine their playing level and what
they can handle at least on the level of technique (stage poise is
another matter entirely). This will help you judge what situations
they can handle when paired with pros.

2) Working with the pros to determine their level of acceptance of
and willingness to with work with the amateurs in a controlled
setting - i.e. a portion of their set, perhaps a single tune - that
can be crafted or adapted so as to give the amateur some exposure and
build them up, without either being overwhelmed or wrecking the pro's
tune or the dynamic of their show.

Pros will have a wide range of feeling on this, ranging from no-way-
Jos=E9, talk-to-the-hand, to total support for the teaching aspect of
giving an amateur a break and a little piece of "walking dream."

Some of the negative attitudes will be borne of ego or of a desire to
draw a sharp line at the lip of the stage (not necessarily the same
thing), but also of bitter experience. Reassuring a balky pro may
involve both offering a model for limited exposure and appealing to
their nurturing instincts, with a nod to the nature of the
circumstance (the cruise where pros rub shoulders with fans and
amateurs).

Rereading your post, I see you're not talking about pros bringing
amateurs onstage during their sets but rather having amateurs play a
copule of numbers between the rpos who will be playing - what, short
sets or single tunes? - during the jam.

Assuming that the non-pros get one tune each and that the non-pros
are clustered 2 or 3 between the pros, perhaps you could give the
first of three tunes to the lowest-level player, progressing to the
next level, and putting the most advanced player on last before the
pro.

Or, if it feels too much like the first player has to follow a hot
act by the previous pro, sandwich the least-advanced player between
two better players.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dr.alters-wizardsway@xxxx
(Dennis B. Alters MD) wrote:
Hi,

I have been appointed by the Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise to
organize the Sail Away Pro/AM Jam on Jan. 22 @ 4:30 pm in the Crow's
nest lounge. This is going to be a big venue and I am honored to help
out. Little Charlie and the Nightcats will be playing simultaneously
on the main pool deck. When I first heard about it I was eager and a
bit nervous. It is starting to shape up. Touring pros will be mixing
in with non-touring pros and amateurs at this Jam. It is taking off
and the interest level is quite high. The Cruise wants to accomodate
everyone with music in many areas in case one venue crowds up.

Naturally the trick is that when the big hitters come in one needs to
make sure they get up quickly and there is a delicate balance that I
am concerned about trying to make sure that people don't feel
slighted. Basically, I think everyone will be in an open hearted
spirit for the time of their lives.

As some of you know I take my responsibilites seriously and usually
seek advice to make sure that I am on the right track. Any
suggestions for running a mixed jam for stars thru newbies would be
helpful. This is not a type of Jam where I would put the beginners up
first to build their confidence. I will have to blend them in
carefully. We have 2-3 songs between musician set changes as an
agreed limit and people are signing up listing their level of skill
and ability to lead, front or side. They are sending in their songs.

Two saving graces are my colleagues Dave Fairweather and Dave Fertig
from our list will be with me on this. Thanks guys. I am going to
need you to be my eyes and ears to make sure this is working out.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. I always get great
support from the list and that is why I am turning to you.

Doc

--
Dennis B. Alters, MD

Diplomate, American Board of