[Harp-L] Re: Pro-Am Jam

Hi Dennis,

Having seen and even played at the Pro-Am jams last year, I know you have a difficult task.
You're trying to balance the desires of the amateurs who have paid for a jam experience against
the desire of the audience to be entertained and not bored, against the desires of the pros to
strut their stuff.   You're not really going to know the abilities of many of the players.  And
you're not just dealing with harmonica players who can be shuffled on and off the stage fairly
quickly, but also with amateur guitarists, bassists and even drummers.

If I were running things I'd use a sign-in sheet, limit players to 1 song when there's another
player of the same instrument waiting to play, limit solos to 2 choruses, and then let my ear be
my guide to either relax or tighten those rules on the fly.  Once you chance upon a rhythm section
that's cooking, let them play a few more songs.  If a pro is willing to sing and lead the band on
a song, then let him have priority as long as he's willing to give the amateurs their shots within
his song.    If you've got a lot of people on the wait list,  double or even triple up on
guitarists and harmonica players within a single song.  Be an active stage director, pointing to
people when its their turn to solo, mixing up the guitar solos with the harmonica solos, and
having the hot hands trade eights or fours with each other.  (But if you've got the right pro on
stage, he'll direct for you.  Last year Curtis Salgado was great at directing the jams!)

Don't be afraid to use a virtual hook to pull players who aren't cutting it or who are trying to
hog the stage.  Listen to the audience. If they're loving somebody, then bend the rules to give
that person more stage time.

And make sure you keep things moving for musicians on the wait list.   Shake up the lineup after
each song as long as people are still waiting to play.  Tell people they can always get back in
line if they want to play another song later.