Re: [Harp-L] B. Thomas 12/10 suggestion help...

The most popular harps today are Special 20s and Lee Oscars, these are excellent harps. Also popular is the Marine Band 1896.

The first two harps I mentioned have plastic combs (the sandwich between the metal plates), the marine band has a wood comb which swells when wet and has rough edges. It is popular because the old pro's played these. I haven't tried one since I was about 12 years old so can't help you there.

I play both Special 20s and Lee Oscars but prefer the Special 20s, I find the Lee Oscars have a reedy sound. I suggest you buy one of each and then go from there.

You can buy these harps under 20.00 on the Internet. Personally I would not recommend anything below these harps. Harps get a lot of use so the money is well spent. They should last for years.

Popular keys for blues are C, D, G, Bb, F. The different keys are for playing along with CDs. if you don't plan on doing that you only need a C harp. In that case I suggest you buy a SP20 and a Lee Oscar in the key of C to figure out which you like best before buying others.

Most books use a C harp.

The exception is Tom Ball's Little Walter/BigWalter book which uses a Bb harp which is a hard harp to play. But thanks to Tom, the Bb is now my favorite harp. Too bad guitar players don't like the key much ;-).

For celtic or bluegrass or folk music you might use other keys, ask the list if you're interested, don't want to lead you astray.

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bry Thomas" <baddaddy_46@xxxxxxxxxxx>