From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Bry Thomas
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 1:37 PM
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] B. Thomas 12/10 suggestion help...

I would like to settle on a harp, get a set (or at least several keys)
and
really get to work.

My first harp (American Ace) was pretty much junk after a week.  The
harp
that came with the David Harp book was junk on arrival, I bought an Old
Standby (all they had in town) in "A" for the Portnoy set, I don't
really
like the Bushman Delta Frost that came with the Bean Blossom seminar,
and
the Pro Harp (D) I got at Bean Blossom (booby prize for the contest) has

such an awful, metallic taste it's a chore to put it in my mouth.

Now, i'd like to spend some of my Christmas money on harps.  I'm looking
for
opinions on the best buy, most durable (no working on them), bluesiest
sounding "out of the box" harps.  All at a reasonable price (under $20?)

Around my small town there are two music stores, both catering to school

band and churches.  L.O. are $38, S-20 are $26, Bluesband, $28, Old
Standby
$12, Big River $18.   Also, the key selection is quite limited and if
you
ask a question you might as well be from Mars.  It isn't they aren't
good at
customer service, it's that they don't know what to say.   Those are the

reasons i'm not out buying one of each and trying them on my own.

I play (practice) alone w/o mic (for now) and probably won't jam (the
guys
live a couple of hours away) until mid next year or so.  If that makes
any
difference in harp choice.

Sincerely,

Bryan (Huntingburg, Indiana)