Re: [Harp-L] Howling Wolf

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joel Fritz" <jfritz666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "harpl" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Howling Wolf

Wolf was a much better harp player than guitarist. He had some great guitarists in his band including Willie Johnson and Hubert Sumlin. He's one of my all time favorite singers. It wasn't an acquired taste for me--more like love at first hearing. IMHO he had one of the top 5 amplified blues tones.

There's a dvd bio that's been out for a year or so that has some
> priceless film of him and other Chicago players.

Hi,
IMO, Howlin; Wolf had the all time baddest, nastiest harp tone ever. I saw him several times during the 70's before he passed on, and for all the gear freaks out there, he NEVER blew thru an amp, just used the house PA and whatever mike was available at the club. He was a classic example of the fact that tone comes from the player, NOT the rig.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com