Re: [Harp-L] Howling Wolf

On Dec 10, 2004, at 10:39 PM, Larry Haston wrote:

Joe and Cass Leone wrote:

Do you know what network that's on? The channel numbers in my area
are probably different.

It was on the True Stories channel.

Yes, True Stories East. I also have True Stories West. It will be repeated this week.

Immediately after the show ended, I checked Amazon and the same show is available on DVD for about 15 bucks.

Of course, we could always slip in a video tape :0 As Tom Albanese said repititious listening to him is where it's at. I'm gonna try really hard to catch it again. It's almost worth the price just to see the serious look on Sam Phillip's face. (Not to mention the Chess kid...who seems to NEVER comb his hair :)

What I loved most about Wolf was his 2 hole draw vibrato, like nobody else.

When you say "2 hole" are we talking about TWO holes or the NUMBER 2 hole?

I was impressed to hear that after a lifetime as a musician, he took music lessons and learned to read and write when he was in his fifties. I always liked his music but after seeing the documentary, I felt a new respect for him as a person.

He certainly didn't have a "bad guy" image. Quite the contrary. It seems as if he was always looking out for his guys and even went so far as to provide as best he could for job security/workman's insurance? MAN, when the hell did we ever hear of THAT before?

As a long long time advocate of the "Delta" style (as opposed to the Chicago style), I found it refreshing that he stayed true to his roots and wouldn't sell out by going for the more commercial sell. Now, wait a minute, before anyone starts tossing pies. It's not that I don't like Chi., I just like Delta better. It's more "laconic".

When I was hoboing around the country back in "60" and gravitated to the NOLA/Baton Rouge area, while working in a ship repair yard, I got to hear a lot of wonderful old timers. Unfortunately, Howling wasn't one of them as he had already gone north.

JoJo