[Harp-L] Bob Dylan on his harp playing

On the Rolloing Stone website, there's an interview with Dylan about his new
book, "Chronicles: Volume One" The interviwer, Austin Scaggs, asked him a
bout his harmonica playing at one point.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6635604/bobdylan?pageid=rs.Home&;
pageregion=single2
RS. In the book you don't talk too much about playing harp. What harmonica
performances of your own are you most proud of?

BD. A lot of them, really. I don't know if proud is the word.... I play the
harmonica like I play the piano. I don't really need to listen to what I'm
playing. Of course, I can tell if I'm playing it wrong, when it's not going
to appeal to anybody. It might on a technological level, but it won't on a
gut level. If I put it into the beat, right on the one or the three, that's
really basically all I have to do to get the point across. It will form a
melodic structure on its own. Someone can always play it better, but you've
heard a lot of great musicians where it sounds great at the time, but you
forget about it two minutes later. I stay away from that showoff thing.

Glenn Weiser
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/harppage.htm