[Harp-L] Re:Sonny Terry

Sonny told me his father played the harmonica, to what degree I am sure we
will never know. Sonny really isolated after losing the sight in his second eye
 at age 16, first was at 11, both accidents. The harmonica became his life,
and  like Little Walter playing for countless hours to develop his style, a lot
must  have been done before he started going out and trying to make money on
Friday  paydays on the street. Sure there were some whoopers back then, but
Sonny was  beautiful in being able to play on harp what the singer was
vocalizing, so I am  sure he listening to extraneous sounds and tried to recreate them
on harp. " I  know the sun's gonna shine, in my, back door, some day." Was
just one example of  that line he played so sweetly.  The flailing of the hands,
whooping,  falsetto, all developed while the money was dropping in Sonny's hat
as there  could have been a number of musicians vying for the same money when
people got  paid. The more it dropped, the more he went off. If was the was
he performed the  rest of the his life, audience reaction to what he was doing,
not being able to  see, only feel. Towards the end it was one of the issues
Brownie had with  Sonny, as Brownie wanted to expand the music, do different
things, which would  mean Sonny would have to play differently, which was not
going to happen. The  audience called out songs from their albums, and Sonny
wanted to continue giving  them what they wanted. Brownie was more a philosopher,
defiantly sung about  racism, I had many long interesting conversations with
Brownie. Mark Hummel and  I just had this conversation when we played together
at David Barrett's  Masterclass in Chicago a few months ago, as Mark played
with Brownie briefly.  That would be all I will say about their not talking for
so many years, being  together for 45-50 years is one helluva long time to be
with anyone. I tried  ONCE to get in the middle and bring them together,
after a long  conversation with Brownie, said something to Sonny like, "you know
Sonny,  Brownie said>>>> I was cut off with a very quick, " Man, you work  for
ME". End of subject.