Re: [Harp-L] Bob Dylan on his harp playing

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Glenn Weiser"
<celticguitar1@xxxx> wrote:
> On the Rolloing Stone website, there's an interview
with Dylan about his new
> book, "Chronicles: Volume One" The interviwer,
Austin Scaggs, asked him a
> bout his harmonica playing at one point:
>
>"I don't really need to listen to what I'm
> playing. Of course, I can tell if I'm playing it
wrong, when it's not going
> to appeal to anybody. It might on a technological
level, but it won't on a
> gut level.... Someone can always play it better, but
you've
> heard a lot of great musicians where it sounds great
at the time, but you
> forget about it two minutes later. I stay away from
that showoff thing."

i recently came across this on the net, and after
seeing this post i thought it apropos. it's a list
someone compiled of what they thought were the "best
uses of harmonica" in contemporary music. it's an
interesting perspective - looking at the harmonica not
as a harp player, but as someone who appreciates music
in a broader sense. of course, the notion that there's
a "use" for harmonica (imagine a list of the "best
uses of a piano") is bothersome, but it's a reality to
be dealt with. even some harp players will tell you
not every song needs harmonica. (blasphemy!)  anyway,
here it is:

http://www.upstatelink.com/entertainment/2004/04/26/2004042629984.htm

topping the list is Bob Dylan of course, though maybe
for a song no one would expect: Girl From the North
Country. the rest of the list is:

G Love and Special Sauce
Comin' Home

Junior Wells