Re: [Harp-L] Re: Digitech Vocal 400---RP-400

randysinger <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
on Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:09:54 -0500:

> Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Digitech Vocal 400---RP-400
>
> On Dec 13, 2004, at 10:45 AM, Roscoharp@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > randy
> > Hey Randy, long time!!  I hope you are doing well & playing a lot.
> > I am interested in something like the digitech to make the acoustic
> > harp sound better (volume, verb, delay, eq, etc.) when playing with my
> > loud rock band.
> >
> > Two questions:
> > 1} can I quickly toggle between pre-sets so that I could sing with one
> > patch & play immediately with another in the same song?
> > 2} is there a true bypass that sends the signal directly to the board
> > without going thru the processor?
> >
> > I hope to see (& hear) you at a harmonica event or something soon.

Hey folks

Musician's Friend and Guitar Center just dropped the Digitech RPx400
to $250, so I got one last week.

This one is nominally a guitar processor, but it has three inputs:
1/4" jack, XLR mic, and line-in. The mic input has its own level
control, so it is easy to balance inputs.

This makes it very easy to have two mics set up. The XLR can be set
to bypass effects and amps (but run through reverb/delay), so you can
easily switch mics to go between a clean and distorted sound.

Also, all presets can be given A and B channels, with different gains,
and can be switched with one stomp. You can also completely bypass the
unit by stomping pedals one and two together.

So far I've mostly used it with an SM57. This is a very hot setup, and
you need to keep the gain way down, but I've managed to achieve some
usable clean-ish sounds, using a low-gain blackface amp model for a
little warmth and some envelope filter to take the edge off.

I'm a rank beginner, and know next to nothing about amplified harp.
I'm sure some of you other guys have some great presets worked out.
Would anyone be willing to share? Richard Hunter's site helped me out
a lot (thanks Richard), and he has some great heavily-effected
patches. But it would be really useful to get some more generic
sounds: nice clean tones, traditional Chicago sounds, etc.

If people were interested I could put them on a website all in one
place.

With the Digitechs it is easy to upload and download the patches
from pedal to computer using XEdit.

Cheers
Ric