Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bob Dylan

Dan,

I don't expect to convert you, but go listen to "Blowing in the Wind" and the intro in "All Along the Watchtower" right now and tell me he should have done it differently. The Intro to all along the Watchtower is wonderfully dissonant - cool and original. To me these harmonica parts are perfect, if you changed them you can only make the tunes worse.

Before you read on, do me a favour and take 5 minutes and go listen to these two tunes right now. Its too easy to speak in terms of generalities and distant memories.

You mentioned art, I'm sure you have heard of Naive art: The definition of Naive art is interesting, reminds me of what you said about Dylan:

Naïve art is a term that is usually applied to the work of untrained painters; it presumes the existence of an academy and of a generally accepted 'educated' manner of painting. In practice, there are schools of naïve atists; over time it has become very much yet another acceptable style. Its characteristics are an awkward relationship to the formal qualities of painting: difficulties with drawing and perspective that result in a charmingly awkward and often refreshing vision. Strong use of pattern, unrefined colour, and simplicity rather than subtlety are all supposed markers of naive art; however, it has become such a popular and recognisable style that it would probably be more correct to call most examples pseudo-naïve.

Some people create wonderfuly naïve works of art.

Dylan was a troubadour, his songs were simple, so simple and naïve harp playing was just right for the tunes.

I respect the right of everyone to have an opinion. This is simply mine. It's based on my own ego, and the fact that I believe in working hard at the harmonica. I believe in encouraging others to work hard too. I am insulted by those who trivialize that work.

I feel bad that some people study hard and work hard and never get recognized; especially when they are deserving. But that is how all things are. A tiny percentage of people make it and in most cases its just good timing, dumb luck or a stroke of genious. Study and hard work often have little to do with "popular" success. Altough it is much harder to make it today.

By the way, if people bring up Dylan when you say "harmonica", then that is really sad because it means that those people are not exposed to harmonica players. I don't think you can blame that on Dylan.

Of course you still don't have to agree, but don't let it ruin your day.

Respectfully,

Pierre.