[Harp-L] Re: Bob Dylan

Alright.  Heated discussion.  Thanks especially to Sam.  In my quest to find interest in an otherwise boring day, your post takes the cake.  Excellent counterpoints, well thought out and clearly from a point of view contrary to my own.  Much respect.

I guess the question I have, in response to the very long and interesting post from Sam is this:

Why does it seem like the harmonica gets less respect?   I say "seem" because it may not be a unversal phenomenon. It might just be that my involvement clouds my judgement.

 If "strumming" the harmonica is acceptable, as it is to so many, why does it seem more acceptable for harp?  Is it because they're cheap?  Small?  Because it "works" for folk music? (I leave works in quotes, because I don't agree, but I can't argue with the numbers Sam mentions)

Maybe I'm a seemingly arrogant jerk with an overblown ego.  Think what you like, it's the internet.  I could be a complete novice, a loveable guy, or sitting here dressed as mrs. santa claus for all anyone knows.  (Think about it next time you meet a "woman" in a chat room fella's)

  Maybe it's only me that blames it on Old Bob and his influence. I can accept that.  I hate what he does to the harp.  I'd tell him to his face too, as it is my opinion.  I'd listen to his opinion like Sam's, and really think about it too.  That's the fun of debate, and the blessing of free society.  Get pissed.  Chastise me for not following "live and let live"  Ignore or poke fun at my caveats. Label me as some sort of a fiend who dare's to want to qualify the harmonica for my self while still raising it up for debate  It's all in fun.

  But what is it then?  Why does Alanis' record producer let her get away with "just breathing" on it  and we accept it.  A whole lot of people heard and accepted her harp playing too.   Why can't I go out learn to play really bad guitar and get it played on Billboard?

That  "she likes me for me" song for another example of highly succesful tunes with "simple" harp playing.  Why bother working at it at all if Bob, Bruce, Alanis, etc. cleary show us that there's no point? Forget about overblows guys.  They don't matter.  Forget about positions ladies and gents, and toss out all discussion of emboucher.  All that work.....not necessary.  Just re-define the instrument in your own terms.  And for god's sake, outlaw dodgeball in gym class.  It makes some of the kids feel bad.

  Is the "she bangs" guy the future of vocalization as well?  He's making a fair buck.

For the record.  I counted at least 10 caveats in this rant.  It is a rant.  Those who agree will already agree.  Those who don't will continue to.  Part of me/us will always want to believe that everybody is equal, and that there is no qualifying anything.  ahh.. We'll all reach our own destination in our own time.... lovely......and part will simply always want to say the heck with that  The balls are lined up at half court.  Last one standing wins.

Again.  What a waste of time.  Shouldn't we be practicing?  or  Not practicing in order to make our statements, but at least planning those statements?

Kharma Cameleon?

Message: 9