Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bob Dylan/Woody Guthrie

Dan counters in yet another Quixotic post with:

Why bother working at it at all if Bob, Bruce, Alanis, etc. cleary show us that there's no point? Forget about overblows guys. They don't matter. Forget about positions ladies and gents, and toss out all discussion of emboucher. All that work.....not necessary. Just re-define the instrument in your own terms. And for god's sake, outlaw dodgeball in gym class. It makes some of the kids feel bad.

Hmm so what you're saying is rage against the machine? What does Alanis Morrisette have to do with playing harmonica? It seems your quarrel lies more with how music has been marketed than with how it's played. Quit arguing nonsense and start practising? How about stop worrying about what other people think and just play your instrument? Another better question is what kind of idiot responds to an obvious troll? Twice no less. I have no life.

We move now to the obligatory harmonica content. I was very surprised upon hearing a Woody Guthrie cut on the Beyond Nashville compilation. Ain't got no home. Very sophisticated playing and certainly not what I've thought of when I've thought of Woody Guthrie's harmonica playing. I'd actually like to find some more somewhere. fjm