Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bob Dylan

The Mr. Zimmerman story is really easy to explain. He wrote his OWN stuff. That's all there is to it.
If he had depended on doing other peoples stuff, he would have never made it. BUT, even 'I' ( a dyed in the wool hippie/folk music avoider), absolutely LOVED this guys material.

With Dylan, almost every tune had a message that pertained to one of my own (personal) problems, pitfalls or experiences. I'm sure I'm not alone in this as EVERY ONE has had problems growing up. Dylan has often been type cast as a "Protest" singer. What a crock of shit. He was a "Balladier" and wrote some very VERY catchy material about everyday experiences. And herein lies the answer. The only way the record companies were going to get this material was to take "bobby" along with it.

a...he played harp (of sorts), and was probably 6,000,000th. best in the world
b...he played guit fiddle (maybe), and was probably on book 2 of Mel Bay's beginner course.
c...he sang (in the vernacular sense), and it was so unusually strange, no one has (as yet) ever captured that.

Well I can do all these things better than he can, but since I haven't written ANY published hits, Sooo I get a one way ticket to Zamboanga, while Mr. Zimmerman laughs all the way to the bank. The talent was in the WRITING, and THAT is what carried the guy to home plate.

tafka s-j