Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bob Dylan

<< If "strumming" the harmonica is acceptable>>

Well, first of all, it isn't, in my book, because the harp is a lead
instrument, not an accompaniment instrument (yes, I know there are
lots of solo harp performances, but you've got to be WAY past "basic
strumming" to do that). Basic guitar strumming is never done as a solo
or as something that is meant to be paid attention to, it's done to
support the performance of a song. I've learned enough guitar to go to
jams and play songs, or to play my own songs, but I'd never present
myself as a "guitar player" or take solo breaks. And if all I could do
on a harp was blow simple chords, I'd either leave it home or keep in
the background. I would not expect everyone to listen to a "solo"
consisting of me breathing in-and-out on holes 1-2-3.

That said, Dylan sometimes does a lot more than "strumming" the harp
and some folks have offered some good examples. He often does a lot
LESS than "strumming," in that even strumming basic chords, you do
have to get the chords right, and you do have to stay in time. He
doesn't always manage either of those. Van Morrison is even worse in
that respect.

Ken

--

Ken Ficara