Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bob Dylan/Woody Guthrie

Winslow Yerxa wrote:
fjm writes:

I was very surprised upon hearing a Woody Guthrie cut on the Beyond
Nashville compilation. Ain't got no home. Very sophisticated playing
and certainly not what I've thought of when I've thought of Woody
Guthrie's harmonica playing. I'd actually like to find some more
somewhere.

===== Winslow:

As I mentioned in another related thread. Without going home and
putting on his records, which I've been meaning to do in my recent
plowing through all my southern rural harmonica recordings, I do
remember that his Story of Tom Joad recordings (Boiled down Grapes of
Wrath into a six-minute song on two side of a 78 for people who
couldn't afford to buy a copy of the book) had some really nice second
position playing with this weird lick that starts out feeling like
first position but lands in second. Feels angular but actually lies
very smoothly - a mark of originality and nicely played as well.

Winslow

On his LOC recordings there's a fair amount of racked harp playing including traditional dance music. IMHO, Guthrie played harmonica better than he did guitar or mandolin. He had a very full tone in the rack.

-- Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly