[Harp-L] Re: Steve Shaw's response to Elizabeth's question for the panel

From: "Steve Shaw" <moorcot@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Re:  Gail's response to Elizabeth and Question
for Panel
>A  question for the panel  at large?  I'm playing a double-sided CG  Hohner
>Echo Tremolo Harp - a 56/96  (24 Reed, if that's how it's  described?).
>The top/bottom cover  plates (rivets came  out) fell off  so I'm actually
having
>to hold it  together  while I play.  Leaves the mouth a bit sore at times (I
>should  own  stock in Blistex).  Guess my question is multi-fold: 1)  CAN
one
>tongue-block on such an instrument?  2) Is it worth having  it  re-riveted?

You really would think that, by now, Hohner would  have stopped using those
hateful little pins to hold bits of harps  together.  You just HAVE to prise
off the folded-over ends of the Echo  covers to do any maintenance, and they
just deform and the holes in the  comb-ends are now too big so the pins drop
out... I don't know whether you  can obtain replacement pins, but I harvested
a whole batch of suitable ones  from an old, busted Hohner chromatic - the
ones that hold the reedplates on  (another potential source of teeth-gnashing
frustration for the occasional  tinkerer), which I need for my Echos every
now and again.  Try to  insert the merest splinter of wood into the holes
before reassembling, which  should hold the pins a bit tighter.  Sheesh.

I don't tongue-block at  all myself, but I don't see why it shouldn't be
possible....

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's  CD of mostly traditional Irish,  "Blowing Through The Reeds,"  is
now available!  Hear clips at  http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm";

My apologies for my long delayed thank you to those responding  to my query.
I did say I was a klutz....fell down a flight  of uncushioned new oak stairs
and am banged up, though I think I'm very lucky since at first they thought
I'd  fractured my neck.  The funny part was that all I could think of while
awaiting the results of a CT scan was:  is this going to prevent me from  playing
my harmonica?   lol  So, even though I'm  a bit  stiff and sore and finding
it difficult to type, too much time has passed and I  needed to thank everyone
for their responses.

.,..Thanks so much for yours, Steve.   And I'd listened to clips of your
"Blowing Through the Reeds" thinking I was  hearing TB'ing!  Obviously I'm still
completely clueless as to just what  differences Tb'ing makes to the sound.  I
very much enjoyed your  music.  Reminded me of the Scottish tunes I grew up
with.

I just may borrow the pins from the newer Echo I bought and  use them on my
older but much better-sounding one, since those pins are gone  altogether.
I'm going to try your idea of the wooden slivers -- perhaps  the tips off wooden
toothpicks?

Elizabeth