[Harp-L] Harpie on Bob Dylan

Hi,

Harpie is too young to know Bob Dylan and his Dad isn´t interested
to take part in this strange discussion whether Bob harmed the harp
or did something good. But Harpie is a grouch.

"Rich Beaubien" <RichBeau@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can tell you that Jerry Portnoy says that the harp "is first of all a
> chord instrument."

And Garry Hodgson said:

< i thought the line was "first of all a rhythm instrument" which is
different.

When Harpie read that he asked me: Hey, Dad, can you then tell me why
we have chord and bass instruments among the harps? Isn´t that completely
superfluous?

No, Harpie, not always. Think of a harp trio where the lead player plays
the melody and the bass and chord players are responsible for rhythm and
accompaniment. Now, sometimes it can happen that the lead player
suddenly forgets the melody. If there wouldn´t be the two other guys the
audience would think that the tune is finished and would start to applaude.
But in such a case the bass and chord can´t stop because these guys
do know that the tune has exactly 36 bars and not 1 bar less.

I see, Dad, but when a harp is first of all a chord or rhythm instrument,
then an accordion can´t play a melody either because it´s constructed
in a similar way, right?

Harpie, you are even more stupid than I had supposed when your mother
gave birth to you. An accordion is undoubtedly a single music instrument,
while a harmonica is called a "pocket orchestra", you hear me, a whole
orchestra in the pocket. And everybody knows (perhaps except you) that
only the conductor knows the complete melody while the musicians are
only playing the 1. and 2. violine, bass, drums etc.

Hmmmh, Dad, you can call me a stupid guy but I know that Toots is a
puckerer and I´ve also heard that he sometimes plays melodies.
Can you pucker a chord?

Of course, you can. You only have to provide a single hole instead of
4 chambers on a chord harp.

OK, Dad, you are winner.

Harpfried