RE: [Harp-L] "used" harp/what to do to sanitize?

I'm no doctor, but there could be all kinds of "nasties" inside
a harmonica that has been previously used (breathed into and
spit into) by someone else.  For this reason, I don't believe
that alcohol on the outside will be sufficient.  If it were
a plastic-combed harmonica, I would say you should soak it in
a mild solution.  However, the Hering Vintage has a wood comb,
and you shouldn't soak a wood-comb harmonica.  That pretty much
loaves only the "disassembly" method.  It's the best method in
any case.  Besides, if you plan to seriously play the harmonica,
you might as well bite the bullet, and get used to taking them
apart, and putting them back together.  My 2 cents.

Richard J. Smith, R.A.
Wormleysburg, PA

Richard's is the best answer so far. In the UK our equivalent of "Efferdent" is (I think) Steradent. I think it's fine for occasional cleaning of your own harps, as long as they are all plastic and metal and have no valves, but it does not dissolve all the crud in the deepest recesses and seams of the harp. I know this, because a guy gave me a bagful of old harps and this is what I tried, and it didn't get a lot of the ingrained muck out. There is no alternative, if you're a stickler, to taking the harp to bits and cleaning each part separately, and you may need to do some gentle scraping with a matchstick to get some of the stuff off. Unless it's one of those confounded nailed-together Hohners it's easy enough to dismantle a harp - just do it over a tray, not the shag-pile carpet, using the correct screwdriver and when you're reassembling go progressively and don't over-tighten the screws, repeat, DON'T overtighten! Just snug 'em down! Some parts of some harps (mainly cover plates) don't automatically line up spot-on when you putting it all back together, so have a good stare at the harp before you start so as to have the correct fit of the parts in your mind's eye. I'd be completely lost if I couldn't dismantle a harp - it's a frequent requirement, for all sorts of reasons. I wash my plastic ones out frequently under a warm tap. I've found that you can do this even with the Hohner MS wood combs, as they don't seem to be too absorbent. I'll let someone else deal with any harp with valves!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
http://harmonicapics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Hear clips from my CD at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm