RE: [Harp-L] "used" harp/what to do to sanitize?

Dave Murray advised:
> The one used harp that I've got got dissasembled and cleaned in boiling
> water. Next time (if there is one), after manually cleaning out the gunk,
> I'll probably take it to my dentist and ask what he'd charge me to put it
> into the autoclave gizmo that he cleans his tools in before they go into
> my mouth. I'll bet he won't even ask for money, it'll probably be a "Ruby,
> would you sterilize this for Dave please?" If anyone is an expert at
> sanitizing things before they go ito you mouth, it's got to be your
> dentist.

Dave, Dave.  At first I wondered whether your harp was wood- or
plastic-combed?  Then I realized it doesn't matter.  Either one "cooked" for
an hour or so at autoclave temperature (350-375 degrees F) would be "toast".
Don't do it.  Save the dentist the trouble of having to clean up his
autoclave and just bake 'em in your oven.  Come to think of it, your toaster
might work nicely, too.  Unless you might want to play them again
sometime...   ;^)

Or perhaps you have metal-combed harps?  8^)

Even then you'd be best off having your dentist's technican take your dirty
harps (even your own) apart and give them a careful soaking and cleaning
with mild soapy water and a soft-bristled toothbrush (it's obvious they're
fragile so she'd know to be careful of the reeds, lightly brushing only
along their length from root to tip).  She'd set the clean parts out to dry
on a paper towel and then reassemble them by reversing the steps she used to
take them apart.  She'd have enough common sense to know to tighten the
screws only "finger" tight.  Voila!  Of course, all that's pretty easy to do
so you could just go ahead and do that yourself.  It's so easy even I do it.
If you use anti-bacterial soap, it not only kills the germs, but it gets all
the "mystery" oral detritus out, removing the possiblity for unidentified
"solid" gunk loosening up and depositing itself where (and when) it could to
the most damage (e.g., fouling a reed or jetting against down the back of
your troat--mid-lick, on stage).

All kidding aside, it only takes a few minutes and you'll have nice clean
harps, guaranteed.  [And, once you have them apart you'll soon be duty-bound
to learn to adjust the reeds.  Then you'll have nice, clean, harps adjusted
precisely to your own playing style.  But that's another chapter.]

One technical note, if you have Hohner harps, do them a favor and get a
Pozi-Drive #1 screwdriver for the reedplate screws.  They look like Philips,
but they're not.

Michelle