Re: [Harp-L] Jon Gindick Jam Camp in Atlanta

Well
Actually, I would still prefer to make it up in USA. That's a nice place. What would be nice is that all harmonica player in USA give me one dollars to help me to come more often. But if you wanna give more, you're welcome!!

Anyway, myself, I was very septic at the beginning. I had been to few masterclass and seminar in France and I was not really great. Then, I went to SPAH, and no need to tell that it was great. So, I had no idea what could be the Jam Camp.
Like most of people I knew before Anaheim, I thought the jam camp was something like sitting all together and playing Oh' Suzannah or Rocky Top or When the Saint go Marchin in (all in first position)! But it is not like that.
You're here to play blues and that's what you do. Real nice with teachers among the best of the world. You have common teaching and one-to-one teaching where you can ask anything to your teacher who's there to answer to any of your questions. And you also learn many approch, all good, of the instrument and of the playing. You learn point of view about embouchure, positions, you learn about scales...

Jon is the motor, the engine. He manage to create that feeling, that studying with fun feeling.

For the Tolkien's fans, I would say that the Jam camp is a kindda "Rivendell" for a week end. There'is something magic. Really. Kindda SPAH but different. At SPAH, that's great but you're kindda on your own, and there is so many things that you will miss few events anyway. You can not assist to all the jams, sessions, masterclass...

At the Jam Camp, teacher are here for you, and YOU are the performer. That's really really nice. Everybody does his/her best to make you feel great. That's so nice that there is people coming from far away in USA and even from France! (guess who?)
If could afford to come at all jam camp, be sure I would.

Morevoer, there is always many things to learn, even for confirmated players. Iremeber myself and Allen Holmes and I was explaining to him about Country Blues and Sonny Terry Chuggin'.
I had never think that I could teach anything to Allen.
Really, go for the Jam Camp. And tell Jon how nice is his job

Froggy

"David R. Fertig" <dfertig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jam Camp? I was very skeptical about these "harp schools" but at Doc
Alters' urging I went to the Anaheim Jam Camp in October, and I am really
lucky I did.

I am not a very academic or cerebral harp player, and I don't play much out
of 2d position, don't yet know overblows, don't mod my harps, but I manage
to get invited back to jams and sit-ins so I suppose I can say I am
competent at blowin blues harp. And of course I don't know squat, my
learnin' has all been by just playin' and listening.

So I was wary of "going to school." But I was glad I did: The Jam camp
approach was very focused on individuals, the fundamentals and sharing
among players. So the program, with the watchful eye of Jon Gindick and
the attentive traffic-management of Mark Wilson, flexed and warped to
ensure all students got what the needed, while the students shared so much
info: from newbies with neat ideas, to old blowhards like me who've been
sucking gobiron for more than 30 years.

And the teachers were not only each quite effective, they all had very
diffferent approaches, which added great dimensionality to the
program. And some spectacular jams!

No, I get no commissions, I just really appreciate Jon Gindick's approach,
he has a fine team who put lots of warmth and thought into the workshops,
no matter how skilled you are, you would benefit from the experience.

Hey! An Idea! Jon, would you consider having a camp in Froggy's area
next year, in the South of France? Froggy, do you think he could fill
35 seats? I bet he could. Jon, the Euro/Dollar exchange rate would make
this a very very good business proposition for you, and I would certainly
offer my assistance, as I'll be in the area!

Hm. Ok, I guess I am trying to benefit from my plug! But it's heartfelt
anyway...

-Dave Fertig