Re: [Harp-L] LRBC Pro AM Jam: Hash Brown chime in!

In a message dated 10-Dec-04 11:44:02 AM Central Standard Time, timd@xxxxxxx
writes:

> IMO, Brian "Hash Brown" Calaway is the best person to answer.  He's the
> best jam host I've ever been exposed to.  He handles the delicacies of
> getting people up & off, and he knows how to handle the touring pros when
> they arrive.  I believe he monitors the list, I see his posts from time to
> time.  Hash, are you listening?  What say ye?
>
> Tim Dougherty

Sorry it took so long to reply to this thread. Winslow had some astute
observations
pertaining Pros vs. amateurs. I would say that some of the aims at a jam are
to let the paricipants have a good musical experience, and make some decent
music. First off I would say that no matter how hard you try, you cannot always
please everyone.
Just do the best job that you can, that is all you can ask of yourself.
You are dealing with an awful lot of variables here. I would feel out as many
of the pros as possible, as to what their expectations are with the jam, who
they want to jam with, etc., you don't want to put pros with amateurs together
unless they know what to expect. My feeling is some pros will be open to all
out jamming with anyone, and some will not. But I think they should be given
the respect to make that choice. As far as all the other jammers who want  to
play with the pros, I would make it known to them that you were going to give
the pros the choice first what they wanted to do so their expectations would
not be too high.
good luck,
HB