RE: [Harp-L] Harp Cleaning

I did not find the study I mentioned but:

http://www.mapleblock.com/cuttingboard.html

Now wood's back in vogue, and I couldn't be happier. According to a scientific study published in 1994 focusing on home kitchens, bacteria don't care for wood. When deposited on several kinds of wood and left alone, food poison contaminants e. coli, listeria, and salmonella, disappeared (99.9% gone!) over time. Plastic doesn't seem to have this antibacterial effect.

http://www.alladd.com/cutting%20board%20study.htm

All <cutting> boards should be sanitized regularly with a solution of one- teaspoon liquid chlorine bleach per quart of water. Flood the surface with the bleach solution and allow it to stand for several minutes, then rinse and air-dry or pat dry with fresh paper towels.

Although the bacteria that have disappeared from the wood surfaces are found alive inside the wood for some time after application, they evidently do not multiply, and they gradually die. They can be detected only by splitting or gouging the wood or by forcing water completely through from one surface to the other. If a sharp knife is used to cut into the work surfaces after used plastic or wood has been contaminated with bacteria and cleaned manually, more bacteria are recovered from a used plastic surface than from a used wood surface.

My favorite solution for cleaning harps is still chlorine (bleach), you swim in pools and people pee in them; people accidentaly swallow pool water (yuch) - and no-one dies, besides its cheap, available and easy. I've used this on old bike bottles for over 20 years and it leaves a nice fresh taste :-)

WARNING: Watch your eyes when handling undiluted bleach.

BTW: The bacteria in harmonicas are probably very tame compared to samonella, e. coli etc. But I use it to kill the musty taste associated with bacteria.

I use diluted bleach to soak dish rags. I am sure these rags are suitable for use in germ warfare :-).

Pierre.