Re: [Harp-L] Harp Cleaning

Steve said:

Apart from the hygiene aspect, I'm convinced that cleaning is good for the
harps. When I get home from my session tonight I'll wash all my plastic and (non-valved) wood-combed harps under a warm tap then shake/tap out the excess water.

Thats interesting, when I wash a harp I always find it airy after so I do the opposite of what you do. I feel a harmonica is less airy when its gunked up; so I only clean when I have to. Although a quick rinse (what you do) may leave deposits and reduce airyness after a time just the same as my method. I imagine you play in pubs where beer flows through the harp. I might do just like you if I did that. I often find I have to clean my harps after a night of drinking and playing. Wine is a killer for sure.

I used to unscrew the plates to clean my harps, now I dunk the whole thing in a weak bleach solution. I believe (hope?) this leaves a seal in the right places. Since the chlorine kills the bacteria I do not care about particles.

Do any of you believe taking a harp apart to clean it makes it more airy? is this just my imagination?

Pierre.

PS: I play Special 20s.