Re: [Harp-L] Running Jams

I posted both your's and Bret's post to my local blues society list group. I
host our local blues society jam (6 years) in Harrisburg Thursday nights.
The problems we have mirror Bret's, and we are trying to make changes to
benefit the players, host and audience. I wanted the local musicians to see
the problems aren't unique to one jam.

The possible solution we came up with yesterday is to use a large board to
post the players and instrument rather then use a signup sheet on a
clipboard. Everyone can see where they are on the list. The biggest problems
I have are the semi-pro/am conflicts.  Since we opt not to use a house band
the sets are organized from scratch. I no longer have to play bad guy by
bumping players because a few guys don't want to play with him.

I make them ASK KINDLY if the musician could switch set slots with another
player. If the player doesn't want to switch time slots they have the option
to wait until it's time for their buddy to play or forfeit playing that
night.
 I think some of the conflicts would cease for the host if the players had
to confront each other instead of pulling the host into bs situations.

If a player is new to the jam I ask them if they are a blues player and can
they play blues.  First time players are given a sideman position unless
they come recommeded by one of the semi-pro players at the jam.

Harp players new to the jam are especially questioned. Some are only
interested in being seen on stage, playing through all the vocals and solos
then heading over to the jam in the next town. Some can handle the advice
afterwards, some you never see again.

mike

on 12/18/04 9:51 AM, larryboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at larryboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx