Re: [Harp-L] cleaning custom harps

Bob Meehan wrote:
> Someone said that they boiled a harp to steririze it. To that
> person I would say that it would have been easier to throw it in
> the trash because the heat has taken the temper out of the brass
> reeds.

To change the temper of brass you would have to heat it to red hot
and then either quench it in cold water or let it cool gradually to
room temperature.  Since boiling it in water would only subject it
to a temperature around 212 degrees F (the boiling point of water),
it shouldn't affect the hardness of the metal.

I wholeheartedly agree with Bob's method of using the ultrasonic
cleaner on the disassembled parts of a harp.  This won't remove
tarnish, which can be done with the lemon juice and salt concoction
discussed on this forum a few months back.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/