	From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Bry Thomas
	Sent: Sat 12/18/2004 9:45 PM
	To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
	Subject: [Harp-L] Hering is here, now to clean...

	The Hering 1926 came today.  Looks to be in "new" condition.  I'll take the
	kind soul who sent it at his word that he has a ton of "C" harps and has
	only played it a few times and those were six months ago.  He sent it due to
	my interest in the Hering model so I could check one out personally (we
	don't get such instruments in stores out here in fly-over country) before
	spending money on them.  Said he felt some karma for some things that had
	been done for him, so he would send me the harp.

	Now, it's time for cleaning.  When I asked about cleaning, I didn't really
	give thought to all the methods that have been posted.  I was mainly
	succumbing to the HIV paranoia (granted, in many cases real) and wanted to
	clean the harp of that.  According to the Hohner tech who posted, living
	things shouldn't (key: shouldn't) live on a harp surface for long.   I was
	only thinking of a few germs, not chunks of food (or worse).  Given that I
	don't put a harp in my mouth for any time close to having eaten anything...I
	just took it for granted that others do the same...mistake?

	I think i'll start by brushing the hole(s) with alcohol.  Probably, using a
	Q-Tip to go inside a little, using a light touch and being extremely careful
	not to move anything.  From there?

	This is a sealed wood comb harp.  I have no experience taking harps apart
	and reassambling them.  I just want to get it in a safe condition to play,
	so I can try it and see if i'd be interested in ordering a set of them or
	onto another model...i've already missed Christmas, so...

	Sorry to have been a pain in the ass...

	Bry (Indiana)