[Harp-L] RE: Hering is here, now to clean...

"I was mainly succumbing to the HIV paranoia (granted, in many cases real)..."

The HIV virus can not live long, if at all, in a harmonica, or any other non-organic, non-wet environment. Period.

"I think i'll start by brushing the hole(s) with alcohol. Probably, using a Q-Tip to go inside a little"

I think this is a bad idea. The chance that some of the q-tip fibers will tear off and lodge themselves between reed and reedplate is fairly large. If you don't want to take it apart, soak it per the instructtions posted here earlier. Otherwise, go ahead and take it apart. You should hurt the seals. There is no rocket science in harmonica construction.

Personally, I believe that any germs it once carried are now dead, and I would simply start enjoying it immediately.