Re: [Harp-L] cleaning custom harps

Wrong. You're talking about Viruses. Viruses need a living organic system to survive.

There are some germs which can "sleep" for ages on a stone until they find a new "bearer". Perhaps some doctor could tell us more about that: Dennis Alter?

Froggy

We should all go and look this stuff up if it really bothers us. There is plenty of expert info available. The fact is that there are viruses and bacteria thay can survive outside the body for a longer or shorter time depending on which type. I don't think this is ever a really big issue with your own harmonicas. Keep them clean and they'll last longer and play better. The health issue is secondary. It is different with harps that have been played by someone else before you. You need to clean them up if you have any sense, but you don't need to boil them, autoclave them, bleach them or soak them x times in alcohol. It's simple: dismantle, remove visible crud, wash in warm soapy water and rinse. If valves are a complication then G's site will tell you how to clean them. Goodbye thread.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica http://harmonicapics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk Hear clips from my CD at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm