RE: [Harp-L] Hohner CX-12 Chromatic 'Sticks'

This definitely sounds like a sticking valve to me. I have had the problem with my CX-12 and fixed it. The way I fixed it is by placing a very slight crease in the top/clear strip that sits n top of the actual flap that closes. This forces a little extra pressure on the actual flap that closes. The way I did it is to place my finger over the base of the top/clear strip (rivet side) and push the top/clear strip towards my finger until it slightly creases.

From: Jim Hanks <jhanks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Hohner CX-12 Chromatic 'Sticks'
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:08:15 -0500

Hi All,

I have a CX-12 chromatic that I've had for a little over a year and it has lately developed a bad habit of certain notes 'sticking'. Holes 6 and 7 are especially bad. The symptom is that the reed will respond very poorly with low air pressure - not completely silent but pretty strangled/sickly. Blowing harder will usually cause it to 'pop up' to a more normal sounding note. Any idea what might be happening? I disassembled and didn't see anything obviously wrong but I admittedly don't really know what I'm looking for. This harp does not see extensive action (a few times a month maybe) so reeds shouldn't be 'fatigued' yet, right?

Thanks in advance,
Jim Hanks