Re: [Harp-L] Mustang Galloping (was Running Jams (long)

Hi-

I was talking to my friend and fellow harmonica player Charlie Sayles
about a week and a half ago, and we started talking about
grooves.(Charlie is a real groove-meister.) Charlie said he thought
Mustang Sally was the single greatest song ever written, because it
had an irresistable groove. He looked on that song as a godsend to
performers BECAUSE it gets everyone up there and dancing.

This made me think: why do we all hate this tune? It's got a great
pedigree, Sir Mack to Wilson via the Rascals, a great groove, a
healthy respect for the American automotive industry, mentions the
first female astronaut (Sally Ride) and makes women get up and dance,
a feat which, in itself, is of considerable value.

However, I can't get anyone in my band to play it. They all groan and
roll their eyes and gnash their teeth, etc. I do too.

Charlie's got it figured out. He doesn't have any problems, so at his
gigs there are always a bunch of people dancing, while at our gigs
they just sit there talking and occasionally acknowledging a solo.

Always refreshing and enlightening to sit down with Mr. Sayles.

Best,
Bret