Re: [Harp-L] Yahoo Groups vs regular email list questions

Will Standley wrote:
> Just found out that Harp-L is on Yahoo groups. I have been getting
> the emails in my regular email account.

Don't know if you got an offlist reply to this, but it should be out
in public, I think.  I use the Yahoo group pretty much exclusively
for contact with Harp-L.

> Is Yahoo Groups Harp-L updated automatically ?

Posts to Harp-L will go into the Yahoo group harp-l-archives
automatically.  In the past it always seemed to drop a few posts
from a few people (unfortunately, in the past it seemed that Chris
Michalek's posts were dropped), but that seems to be remedied now.
Of course, you don't know what you don't know, but I don't see those
fragments of threads with no heads they way I used to.

> Is Yahoo Groups updated the same day, within an hour of the email
> posting or immediately?

Takes a little time, just like posting from anywhere else.  Unlike
other Yahoo groups, posts don't go directly to the group harp-l-
archives.  They still have to go to harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx and then get
forwarded to the group for inclusion.

> Any reason to not use Yahoo Groups as opposed to the regular email
> list?

The distinction I made above is an important one.  You cannot post
directly to the Yahoo group.  To reply to a message from the Yahoo
interface, you have to FORWARD the message, with your reply text, to
harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxx  This is the only way to "post" from the Yahoo
interface.  So, if you see a post you want to reply to, instead of
hitting "Reply", hit "Forward", and enter harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx in the
To field, and edit the text in the box.  Of course, your Yahoo
account address must be subscribed to harp-l in the normal fashion,
or harp-l will reject your post.

This is how I do it.  Keeps the clutter out of my mailbox.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/