[Harp-L] RE: Checkin' Up On My Baby Vocals/Harp?

Bill writes:
I have a Chess Records 50th Anniversary Collection CD "Sonny Boy
Williamson: His Best". It has a studio track from The Real Folk Blues LP
(1960) "Checkin' Up On My Baby" which sounds just like Howlin' Wolf
singing, but the credits for this song don't indicate that. The harp
playing is also great. So does anyone know if this is Wolf or SBWII
imitating him (doubtful)? And if it is Wolf (likely), is that SBWII
accompanying him on the harp (likely)?
_________
It's Sonny Boy, with Otis Spann on piano, Eddie King & Luther Tucker on guitars, Willie Dixon on bass, Fred Below on drums. Recorded April 14, 1960.
_________
BBQ Bob added:
I have this on vinyl and it definitely IS Rice Miller himself, as he also
cut another tune (can't recall the name of it at the moment) where he also
does a vocal impersonation of Howlin' Wolf, but doesn't imitate the Wolf
harp sound, which needs a loud, very slow, nasty vibrato to do the job right.
_________
That would be the song "Like Wolf," from Feb 8, 1957.

cheers ta all,

Tom Ball
Santa Barbara